Thursday, March 13, 2008

Off to Seattle






Seattle is a great place. I should know, as I have been there 6 times in the past year. Tonight is trip number seven. Oh what a glamorous life I lead. Fooled you! I am going up there to participate in a cancer vaccine clinical trial. My glamorous day entails waking up at 2 am, driving 3 hours to the airport, flying to Seattle, catching a shuttle to the hospital where I donate a boat-load of blood, and some pieces of skin that I apparently don't need. Then I catch the shuttle back to the airport and make my way home. On the plane, I get to wear one of those fashionable old-lady arm girdles. So my arm doesn't look like the elephant man for the rest of my life.


Am I sounding bitter? Well crap, I was only 38 when this diagnosis hit me out of the blue. It has been a long 2.5 years. Literally every month, I find out people I know (online) are on their deathbed from this disease. I do get a little bitter about it. So my Cancerspeaks Store is a little funny and a little bitter- just like me. This design is me at my most pissed, cause it ain't pretty and it ain't pink:





But this is my last venture up to Seattle. This vaccine, for very aggressive and "advanced" cancers, may have saved my life. All of the people involved with the study are fabulous. And they could not be nicer, except for all those needles-LOL.
And I am fine. All tests are clear. All surgery done. All herceptin done. Oncologist said "I don't think it is coming back Marge." I want him to sign a t-shirt or something! For the first time in over 2 years I had to cut a fingernail instead of watching it peel away. My hair is still Kramertized, patience my dear, patience.



I am moving on (just this last little pit stop in cancerland) and I have even started a beautiful henna-looking tattoo on my 24" abdominal scar. See breast reconstruction site if you are wondering why my abdomen is affected. My once "hide that damn scar at all costs" is now a work of art. I love it! In a few months I will post a picture. I go in once a month for a session. It is about half outlined so far.
Now for the good news. Dear husband and I decided to make this last trip special. So...... my sisters are both coming down to stay with the kids (good luck to them! :) and hubby is flying up with me. We are staying the weekend together. We are going to do all kinds of grownup stuff (get your mind out of the gutter-LOL) : eat at nice restaurants, go see a Supersonics game, museums, read the paper (and some other grown up stuff) in bed.

I might have to bark an order at somebody. Just so I don't get homesick. My sisters spoil the kids rotten- so they are excited for the weekend too.
Catch up will you all next week- have a great one!

2 comments:

Susan said...

Good idea to turn the trip into something fun. Seattle is great--there's tons to do there.

And good for you for turning that completely justified bitterness into something so positive as your store. You rock!

Hayley Townley, Jack of Many Trades said...

Yell at the room service dudes! But wait til after they deliver your food.

You have a grand time! See you Tuesday night at our meeting!

Love you!